The Big, Messy Democracy and Freedom of Speech
Like An Infant Discovering Its Hands

A Sense of Urgency

E3D9525B-ED92-4770-A3EE-5484C79FF924By Cathy Jameson
Ronan had a great day out last Saturday, including joining his little brother to the barber shop.  He’s been sleeping a lot more lately, so I thought nothing of the nap Ronan took at the end of that day.  I was tired from my own day out of running errands that same Saturday afternoon.  Come Sunday morning, when Ronan took much longer to wake up, I didn’t fuss either.  Naps are not unusual.  They’re actually welcomed here in our house.  Ronan had felt a tad warm at the end of his Saturday outing, but it was not a worrisome warm.  Later, on Sunday evening, though, when a fever spiked, my positive outlook about the extra-tiredness changed.  
Fevers, when uncontrolled, can bring seizures.  
Since he stayed curled up on the couch longer than usual Sunday afternoon, I could sit with Ronan and observe him.  I was gone most of Sunday morning into the early afternoon but could easily tell that something was definitely bugging him.  Checking him over, I saw that the outside of his ear was a bit red.  Before going to the barber shop the day before, Ronan was with me at the eye doctor.  He’d gotten a great report on his eyesight and eye health, but I remembered seeing some dried ear wax on his ear before we left.  I’d wiped it away at the doctor’s office, not thinking anything of it nor thinking to look further into the ear.  I wished I had. 
What was coming out late Sunday afternoon looked uncomfortable and worse than just dried ear wax.  
Keeping a closer eye on his movements and slower demeanor before dinner, I told my husband that we’d likely be bringing him to a clinic that evening.  He agreed – Ronan didn’t look his typical happy self.  Waiting until Monday and hoping to get an appointment at our doctor’s office, may not be wise.  It was around 6:30pm, so our options finding a walk-in clinic that would be open would be limited.  Once dinner was made, we left instructions with Ronan’s siblings as we prepared to get ready to go. While we were out, they’d eat on their own and prep their school bags for their busy week ahead.  I told the kids that I hoped we’d be back by 9 to say prayers with them.  
It would be almost an hour later than that before we’d even be close to coming home.  
The urgent care parking lot was full.  Patients were waiting in the waiting room as well as waiting in their vehicles.  I sighed.  We knew of only one other clinic close to us that could accommodate Ronan and his needs, so I psyched myself up and headed inside.  The registration process isn’t short, so Ronan and my husband stayed in the car.  That, I learned, would be a mistake.  
With how complicated Ronan’s care can be, I was glad that that would be the only mistake of the evening.  
Since my son is over the age of 18, he must be present for things like urgent care registration.  I didn’t know this.  “Even though he’s a nonverbal adult with developmental delays?” I asked.  The woman who was getting Ronan’s personal information and his insurance information into the system was kind enough to share the rules and regs with me.  Other people have not been so kind to explain things to me, so I gladly accepted her knowledge and promised to be better prepared next time.  She wouldn’t let me apologize because it was nothing that needed an apology.  “You didn’t know.  And that’s not a bad thing.  You just didn’t know.”  
I thanked her for teaching me, and for doing so with only kindness. 
In order to complete the last steps, I’d need to provide some paperwork that showed that I had power of attorney.  I said that I always carry the Guardianship paperwork with me, would those do?  They would.  But that paperwork was in the car with Ronan in Ronan’s bag.  “Could I bring it in when he’s called back?” “Of course,” she said.  She’d make sure it was in the file so that no one would question us next time.  “It’s got to be stressful enough having to come here,” she began.  “You don’t need to be bothered with having to provide more paperwork than necessary.”
Grateful, I was greeted again with only compassion.  
Once the initial paperwork process was completed, I went back to the parking lot to wait in the care.  “It could be a while,” the woman at the registration desk had warned me.  We were 7th in line to see the provider.  
Thirty minutes later, we were called into an exam room. 
Vitals had been recorded by the nursing staff, so it was just a matter of waiting for one of the two busy providers to be ready to see us.  They’d been working non-stop since we got there andwould continue to work with other patients after we left after 10pm. 
Ronan was surprisingly comfortable, which made the evening manageable.  Some places, he knows right away that what’s about to happen…is going to happen to him.  Like when we go to another clinic in town that does the blood draws.  But there was something different about this place and the people we’d encountered.  Ronan picked up on it and settled nicely into the room and waited patiently.  I’m glad he did.  
Even though we were in the exam room, it would be another hour before he’d be seen.
While we waited, I began to second guess myself.  Ronan didn’t have a fever when the CNA was taking his vitals.  His ear didn’t look as bad as it did a few hours earlier.  He wasn’t lethargic either.  Were we foolish for bringing him in so quickly?  The kids checked in with us via text.  So as not to worry them, we kept our messages upbeat – he’s doing great!  Things are slow but going well.  You’d be proud of how nicely Ronan is doing.  I was proud, and since he was so content, I stepped out of the exam room to bring the Guardianship paperwork to the lady at the registration desk.  
She looked it over, looked at me, and then shook her head.  
“They make you do this, you the parents??  I don’t understand why they make it so hard for you.  It’s unreal…you don’t need the extra worry – or this piece of paper after 18 years…to still say you are his parents.” Before we even saw the building, I was ready to fight whoever got in our way.  But, I didn’t need to fight.  The second I walked into the building, people were ready to help my son.  “Thank you for saying that.” I said quietly while trying not to cry.  Taking a big breath as she turned to make a copy, I added, “I really appreciate you and your help. We don’t get that recognition other places, so thank you.” Shaking her head, not at me but at the system and its demands on parents like me, she said she’d bring the paperwork to me.  “Go back and be with your son.  I’ll bring this to you in a few minutes.” I walked back to the exam room, walked straight over to Ronan, and gave him a kiss on the top of his head.  “Hey bud, they’re good people here.”  Just a few minutes later, a very young P.A. popped her head into the room and apologized for the very long wait.  
I smiled a very tired but hopeful smile toward her.  
“Tell me, what brings you here?  It sounds like an ear infection…” she said.  I nodded, “Yes, he was doing great yesterday.  I wiped some dried ear wax from his ear around 11am.  He slept longer than usual today, even with the time change, and then spiked a fever.”  Looking at my husband, he added that he’d seen some new drainage but not like the dried ear wax.  I continued, “Normally, I guess, we would maybe wait a day or two to see how things would go, but with the seizures and…well, and with the fever that came out of the blue…it looks a lot like Swimmer’s Ear, so we thought it better to get him checked out tonight, especially since it could be a few days to get into our regular doctor’s office…” My voice trailed off.
“Are you medical?” the PA asked me.
What does she mean by that?  
OH! MEDICAL, like having a medical degree or license!
I smiled.  That would be so nice.  
“Thanks, but no. I’m just his Mom,” I replied with a smile.  She smiled back at me.  “You did the right thing to get him seen.  And you know a bit about the condition that yes, looks like an infection of the outer ear canal, commonly known as Swimmer’s Ear.”  She asked for the timeline again, which my husband shared, before starting her exam.  Glad for our suggestions on how to approach Ronan, she then confidently turned her attention to him. 
“Hey, Ronan.  I see that your ear is bothering you.  I’m going to look inside if you’ll let me take a peek.  I have a light that I’m going to use, and I’m going to touch just the outside of your ear, okay?” she said as she got close to him.  We’d already begun a countdown, a strategy that we’ve used for years with Ronan anytime he’s being asked to do something that he may not like.  Starting at a higher number than we may need to use, I began, “Thirty, twenty-nine, twenty-eight…” Most times, including that time, I don’t get to zero.  That’s because Ronan, and whoever’s working with us, can be successful in completing whatever task their trying to complete.  The PA got a good view of the ear and the swelling, and Ronan was able to keep as still as his body could be for the minimally invasive exam.  
Where I’d doubted myself earlier, Ronan and the PA reassured me that going to the urgent care late on a Sunday night was truly the right thing to do. 
Since the fever, ear infection and swelling came on so quickly, we opted for a pharmacy-grade treatment.  Had we seen signs or symptoms, I’d have opted for a home remedy or looked up an Old Wives Tale or tried a homeopathic remedy.  Those have worked for my children.  But this time and for this kid, who has seizures, we acted faster and with ear drops prescribed by the PA.  Once the script ends, I can ease in natural home remedies should those be needed. 
I will always prefer those to pharmaceuticals.  
While the urgent care experience was positive, giving those ear drops at home has been quite an event. It’s not that they aren’t working, it’s that Ronan’s sensory defensiveness went into overdrive while trying to get them in! I told my husband it’s like arm wrestling an alligator in the morning.  Thankfully, Ronan got used to them, and we hope it was because he figured out they’re helping him feel a little bit better.  
Ronan’s napped quite a lot this week, but he’s also fared better since last weekend.  The swelling is down, the fever is gone, and there’s no more drainage.  I’ll hope to use something natural should this ear problem return.  When there’s a sense of urgency, though, as in this case, we sometimes have to weigh options a bit quicker and a bit differently.  
Cathy Jameson is a Contributing Editor for Age of Autism.


Cause unknownCause Unknown 

By Edward Dowd

What is causing this historic spike in deaths among younger people? What is causing the shift from the elderly to younger people?

War On IvermectinThe War on Ivermectin

By Dr. Pierre Kory

Big Pharma and health agencies cry "Don't take ivermectin!" A media storm follows. Why then, does the science say the opposite?

Ivermectin is a dirty word in the media. The drug has been derided and declared useless. Doctors have earnestly recorded pleas asking those afflicted with COVID-19 not to take the drug. But why? 

The War on Ivermectin is the personal and professional narrative of Dr. Pierre Kory, the co-founder of an expert group of physicians’, and his plight to alert the world of his group's identification of ivermectin as a highly-effective, life-saving, widely available generic medicine with an obvious ability to end the global pandemic. In this book, Dr. Kory details all the personal attacks, professional setbacks, and concerted, corrupt, and highly effective actions which influenced the world’s major health agencies and medical journals to dismiss and deny it’s efficacy.


Laura Hayes


Thank you for saying what needs to be said! This statement of yours sums it up in a nutshell:

“This is a disgusting violation of parental rights.”


I am confused why a civilized society has not outlawed parent of forever children from having to pay attorneys to become their "conservators." Laws should be passed that stipulate if a treating doctor determines this person is a forever dependent they are EXEMPT from having to be "conserved." This is a disgusting violation of parental rights. And nobody has challenged this absurdity.


I'm glad you found the needed help for Ronan and a correct diagnosis. Now you have a clinic with caring responsible staff to go to in the future. That is encouraging.

Ryqui Monk

My heart aches. I am so glad Roman is well. God bless you both.

Gerardo Martinez

Thank you for the informative post. Our Sam has had slight redness on the outter part of his ear, no fever, school nurse didn't see any sign of infection. Glad u all had a positive experience at urgent care. A caring person makes all the difference. Prayers that Ronan continues to get better. Blessings!

Sue Morgan

Please read the ingredients on the pharmacy grade treatment you got for Ronan. Most have thimerosol. We treat swimmer's ear with 50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol. You can use that regularly without any signs of infection, as a preventive, as well as a treatment.


Cathy-You did the right thing taking Ronan to urgent care and being alert to his immediate medical needs. We had to take our son a few weeks ago to urgent care because he hit his head getting up from the toilet on the edge of the wall and he had a big gash that wouldn't stop bleeding. They put three stitches in his scalp and then the bleeding stopped. We went to a nurse practitioner ten days later to have the stitches removed. My son also suffers from seizures so we have to be extra cautious. Thank you for sharing all your stories about the very difficult life we parents have with our special needs children. God Bless you, Ronan and your whole family.


Yeah, I have been pleased with Urgent Care here as well. They did not seem to let covid bother them at all, and they did deal with the secondary infections we all had, with covid. We had either strep, or pink eye.

I liked how they treated us.

I made a mistake taking my Mother to the ER for her secondary infection and after waiting four hours and her begging to just lay down on the floor, we left. She by that time was too tired to go to Urgent Care instead. I should have taken her to Urgent care as well, early on . She and I would not have had to share our antibiotics which were enough to get us through covid, but on the end we had those secondary infections come back and put her in the hospital.

Urgent Care seems to filled a much needed niche that we all need with faulting immune systems.


Thank you for sharing your positive clinic experience, Cathy. Thank you, Jesus. Sending love and prayers to Ronan and to you, Cathy. God bless and take care...

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)