Note: What a terrible tragedy for any family to face. Their handsome son gone - from a sandwich. Think about it. A sandwich marinated in buttermilk. He was allergic to dairy. He forgot his epipen that day. Was the restaurant to blame for not listing buttermilk as an ingredient in the marinade? The article says 8% of children (not citizens, children) have food allergies. WHY? Our condolences to Own Carey's family. What a frightening way for him to die and the worst phone call a parent can ever imagine. What has happened to our children? Thanks to Judy R for always send us these relevant stories.
The family of a teenager who died of an allergic reaction to an unlisted ingredient in a burger have called for a new law on allergen labelling in restaurants.
Owen Carey suffered anaphylactic shock after eating grilled chicken marinaded in buttermilk at the Byron restaurant at the O2 Arena in Greenwich, despite telling staff that he was allergic to dairy products.
A coroner ruled on Friday that the restaurant’s menu misled Carey into thinking the burger was safe for him to eat by failing to highlight that the dish contained buttermilk.
Assistant coroner Briony Ballard, sitting at Southwark coroners court, called Carey’s death a tragedy.
“The deceased made serving staff aware of his allergies. The menu was reassuring in that it made no reference to any marinade or potential allergenic ingredient in the food selected,” she said.
“The deceased was not informed that there were allergens in the order. The food served to and consumed by the deceased contained dairy which caused the deceased to suffer a severe anaphylactic reaction from which he died.”
In a statement outside the court, Carey’s family called for new rules on allergen labelling. “We want restaurants to have to display clear allergen information on each individual dish on their menus,” they said. “The food industry should put the safety of their customers first. read more here.