Update: 7/15: Autism Enterprise Roundtable CANCELLED Due to low registration, Appleseed Ventures Autism Enterprise Roundtable, which had been scheduled for Saturday, July 19, at McKinney Roughs Nature Park near Cedar Creek, Texas, is cancelled. Instead, we’ll turn the event into a family picnic. All autism families and their friends are welcome to attend. Bring the kids! PS. As an alternative, consider attending “The Brookwood Way” Network Days Conference, especially the Saturday afternoon AUGUST 21 Seminar on “How the Pieces Fit Together in Brookwood’s Enterprise Program.” See details at www.brookwoodcommunity.org/about/center-for-learning/network-days/
We are grateful to Dan Burns for his leadership in crafting a full and meaningful life for adults on the spectrum. Here is a great opportunity to meet others to talk about employment and autism for all of our children, like my daughter who is turning 18 today. Thank you, Dan.
By Dan Burns
Appleseed Ventures is hosting an Autism Enterprise Roundtable at McKinney Roughs Nature Park, Cedar Creek Texas (between Austin and Bastrop) on Saturday, July 19, for autism families and advocates. You’re invited!
Overview and purpose. Job opportunities haven’t kept pace with the autism epidemic. The Appleseed Autism Enterprise Roundtable 2014 will focus on creating home-grown businesses to employ our transitioning kids. Dan Burns will facilitate this informal, workshop-style event. All who attend will be invited to share information about the enterprises they envision or have built. The purpose is to cultivate a network of resources to employ our young adults on the autism spectrum.
Agenda and Program. The Roundtable will convene at 10:00 AM Saturday, July 19, in the Verbena Room at McKinney Roughs Nature Park. Invited participants include:
• Peg Pickering, mother of an 18-year-old son with autism and author of Prioritize Organize: The Art of Getting It Done
• Jennifer Kaut, autism specialist at The Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)
• Jackie Schlegel-Polvado, Founder and Executive Director at Ashlyn's Hope
• You. This is an open, audience-participation event, and you are invited to share your hopes, concerns, and tips on enterprises you are currently managing, organizing, or envisioning.
We plan to conclude the formal workday at 3:00 PM with informal conversations continuing in the beautiful shaded picnic areas overlooking the valley as desired.
Pre and Post Events. Dinner Friday August 18 (5:00 for drinks, 6:00 for dinner) at Viejo’s Taco and Tequila on Main Street in historic downtown Bastrop near a scenic bend in the Colorado River. Saturday after the Roundtable, look forward to a catered event on the river bank near the Crossing. For directions call Dan at 214-914-0845. Bring your own instrument or purchase an inexpensive kazoo from Larry Land Music and join us for “Pickin’ on the Porch” (anybody can play) for a good time. Optional tubing is available through the Bastrop River Company.
Food and Accommodations.
• Lunch. For a picnic lunch on Saturday, I’ll provide oven-baked turkey, choice of spread (including almond butter), folate-rich kale or spinach and mushrooms, GF/CF bread or non-grain wrap, healthy raw veggies, and flavorful La Croix sugar-free, aspartame-free sparkling water.
• Hotel. For out-of-town guests, hotel reservations at Quality Inn in Bastrop are available at a discount. Call Ken or Sandra at 512-321-3303.
• Registration. Admission to McKinney Roughs is free for registered guests. Please register for the Appleseed Microenterprise Autism Roundtable 2014 at EventBrite.com.
The Roundtable is not a fundraiser, but there is a nominal registration fee to offset costs. If that’s a budget buster, everybody in your family can ride on one ticket; just email me and let me know how many you’re bringing so we can count heads.
Contact information: Event organizer DAN BURNS, 214-914-0845, firstname.lastname@example.org. MCKINNEY ROUGHS NATURE PRESERVE, 1884 State Hwy 71 West, Cedar Creek, TX 78612, (512) 303-5073. QUALITY INN, 106 Hasler Blvd, Bastrop, TX, US, 78602 Phone: (512) 321-3303, Fax: (512) 321-3003. Ask for autism rates. VIEJO’S TACO & TEQUILA, 811 Main Street, Bastrop (512) 988 7544. LARRYLAND MUSIC, in the alley near “The Crossing” behind 601 Chestnut Street, Bastrop, 512-321-3325.
1884 State Hwy 71 West, Cedar Creek, TX 78612
Saturday, July 19, 10:00 AM
Dan E. Burns, Ph.D., is the father of a 25-year-old son on the autism spectrum and the author of Saving Ben: A Father’s Story of Autism. Dr. Burns is a Contributing Editor to Age of Autism and Executive Leadership Team, Health Choice. Through Appleseed Ventures, Dan empowers parents to organize communities where their adult ASD children and friends can live, work, play, and heal.