Sound familiar? From The Scientist Magazine: "...guidelines were put into effect without studying any neurochemical reactions at the cellular level, which is where scientists see the early signs of toxicity." But, but, but the mercury in vaccinations is the safe kind that smells like warm apple pie and sparkles in the sunshine, isn't it? ISN'T IT? Merck and Lilly and GSK, they've studied all of this, haven't they?
Read the full article: Against the Element - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences HERE.
...The story of mercury contamination traces back to the 19th century, when the toxin was widely used in the felt industry, and hat makers often developed neuropsychotic symptoms—hence the phrase “mad as a hatter.” Researchers started to notice that food was a potential source of mercury poisoning after scores of people died or fell ill from contaminated fish in Japan in the 1960s and from tainted grain in Iraq in the 1970s. In these cases, however, people were exposed to extreme doses of mercury pollution from industrial burning of fossil fuels, and most scientists agreed that normal background levels of mercury were safe, for the most part.
Even so, no governing body could agree on how much mercury was too much.
Drawing on research indicating that no adverse clinical symptoms were detected below a blood mercury level of 58 parts per billion (ppb), the US Environmental Protection Agency factored in a 10-fold margin of safety and recommended a blood mercury maximum of 5.8 ppb. The European Food Safety Authority, however, was less conservative and set the bar at 10 ppb, while Health Canada and the World Health Organization agreed that 20 ppb was safe for nonpregnant adults.
Yet these guidelines were put into effect without studying any neurochemical reactions at the cellular level, which is where scientists see the early signs of toxicity. Now Chan’s group is taking biochemical measurements of brain receptors and enzymes to study the close links between neuronal cell death and mercury uptake, and his team is producing some surprising—and unsettling—findings. “We see subtle changes in the brain before the onset of clinical outcomes,” says Chan.
In short, he and others are seeing biochemical changes in the brains of polar bears, mink, wild river otters, and other species. These biochemical changes could translate into physiological changes—such as defects in memory, language, attention, motor function and visual-spatial abilities—that often go unnoticed until it’s too late and the animal has suffered significant damage from mercury. As Chan’s group struggles to replicate and understand those changes, they are beginning to wonder: Is there no safe level of mercury exposure...?