Today, Tuesday, April 14, 2009 is the Fourth Stakeholder meeting of the IOM Committee on Review of Priorities of the National Vaccine Plan in Washington, DC. The focus of this meeting will be Goal 2 of the National Vaccine Plan: Enhance the safety of vaccines and vaccination practices. For more information, and to view the agenda, please see the project website at: HERE
This meeting will be audio webcast in real-time. To listen to the webcast, visit HERE and click "LIVE WEBCAST" (top-center of the webpage) on Tuesday, April 14th. The link will be activated at 8:00 a.m. EST and will be available until the meeting is adjourned at 5:30 p.m. Registration is not necessary for the webcast.
Registration for this meeting will close COB Friday, April 10; however, registration is not necessary to attend the meeting. As with all IOM meetings there is no charge to attend. Registration is not necessary to listen to the webcast.
Contact: Vaccine Plan
****This IOM Committee is focused on addressing the National Vaccine Plan and should not be confused with the NEW IOM Committee that has been conveyed to Review Adverse Effects of Vaccines which I’ve written extensively about over the last two weeks. ****
Background about the National Vaccine Plan:
The NVPO, part of Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), is coordinating the update to the 1994 National Vaccine Plan and DHHS agencies and other departments are contributing to the plan with advice from the National Vaccine Advisory Committee (NVAC).
There are many important stakeholders whose input is needed. IOM has been asked to get input from scientific, medical, public health, and private sector experts (meetings are open to the public). NVPO will conduct a separate and extensive process to obtain input from the general public.
The purpose of Stakeholder Meetings will be to: explore topics related to the five major goals of the draft National Vaccine Plan and; react to draft objectives being developed by DHHS agencies.
Overview of the Study Process: Charge to the IOM Committee
1. Review the 1994 National Vaccine Plan and then provide guidance on the development of the update to the plan.
2. The committee will hold five information-gathering meetings with stakeholders to explore areas of the developing plan and prepare a report about priorities in updated National Vaccine Plan:
• On July 24, 2008, the First National Stakeholder’s Meeting was held in Chicago, Illinois.
• On December 1, 2008, the Second National Stakeholder’s Meeting was held in Irvine, California and I wrote about it here: (HERE)
• On February 2, 2009, the Third Stakeholder’s Meeting was held in Washington, D.C.
Kelli Ann Davis is the D.C. Political Liaison for Generation Rescue.