Managing Editor's Note: Must the child die with the needle in her leg for doctors to declare injury?
CHENNAI: A five-month-old infant, Surya, died nearly 12 hours after she was administered the first dose of the DPT, Oral Polio and Hepatitis B vaccines on Wednesday.
Authorities at the Institute of Child Health, Egmore, declared her dead on arrival last night. The parents chose not to file a police complaint and refused to allow post-mortem. Public health officials said it was unlikely to be a vaccine death because the most common cause, anaphylactic shock, would occur within an hour of vaccination.