By Kim Rossi
I was cleaning the house this week, when I noticed that a bulb had gone out in the girls' bathroom. The blown bulb matched the two others that had gone out ages ago. Life gets busy and I just didn't think about those bulbs until the room was so dark that I had to change the bulbs. To the wayback machine - we moved into this house 8 years ago. The girls' father bought Philips long lasting bulbs for the fixture as a money saving issue. I was not happy about this purchase because lurking inside what looks like a standard round bathroom fixture bulb is the tell tale curly tail of a mercury filled light.
Today I removed the bulb as carefully as a bomb squad checks a pressure cooker left in Times Square. "Don't drop it. Don't drop it. Don't drop it." And then, once safely removed came my question, "OK, now what?" Tomorrow is trash day. I threw an incandescent bulb into the trash. But the mercury bulb? What the heck do I do with it? We have several stacked in the garage. Waiting for the town's "Take Your Poison to the Dump Day!"
How many people take the time to consider what to do with these bulbs? How many just throw them away - letting them shatter into a cloud of mercury vapor?
I'll never buy one of these lights again. I scour stores for incandescents. Heck, I even buy the old school (and I'm getting old so I need this) PINQUE soft light pink bulbs for some of my rooms. I like bright, warm light. I dislike harsh, blue light or light that takes longer to warm up than an oven set to 400! I don't like knowing that an error could mean the further loss of health for my girls - or for me. Think I'm full of vapor gas already? Check out Eric Gladen's movie "Trace Amounts" and follow his journey into hell after a mercury tube light broke near him.
Reddy Kilowatt would not be amused by the danger his young relatives now pose.
Kim Rossi is Managing Editor for Age of Autism.
By Kim Rossi