By Jim Thompson
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is a division of the United States Public Health Service. According to this 2012 report to congress, the “CDC is dedicated to protecting health and promoting quality of life through the prevention and control of disease, injury and disability.”
In 1999 the U.S. Public Health Service issued a joint statement with the American Academy of Pediatrics and vaccine manufacturers agreeing that the heavy metal mercury, a known neurotoxin, used in Thimerosal vaccine preservative should be removed from vaccines “as soon as possible.”
However the U.S. Public Health Service is failing to meet the terms of this agreement. According the following CDC web sites, the U.S. Public Health Service, 14 years after the agreement to remove Thimerosal, still allows the CDC to buy and distribute preserved multi-dose flu vaccines for children that contain the heavy metal mercury.
(1) Mercury has been removed from most types of vaccines. However an estimated 83 million flu vaccine doses for the recent seasonal supply use this heavy metal in the preservative Thimerosal. See http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaxsupply.htm.
(2) “CDC buys vaccines at a discount and distributes them to grantees—i.e., state health departments and certain local and territorial public health agencies—which in turn distribute them at no charge to those private physicians' offices and public health clinics registered as VFC [Vaccines For Children] providers.” See http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/index.html
(3) “Vaccine procured through the VFC program must be administered according to the guidelines outlined by the ACIP in VFC resolutions. VFC vaccine also may be administered in accordance with State school attendance laws.” http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/providers/resolutions.html
(4) Those ACIP guidelines include “…multidose [flu vaccine] vials [that] contain the vaccine preservative Thimerosal.” http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5808a1.htm?s_cid=rr5808a1_e
(5) The following CDC Vaccines For Children price list includes Thimerosal preserved flu vaccines.
“Vaccines for Children Program (VFC), CDC Vaccine Price List [preserved vaccines for children that contain the heavy metal mercury in Thimerosal.]
Fluzone,…10 dose vial, $8.749… [contract end date] 2/21/2014, Sanofi Pasteur,
Fluvirin,…10 dose vial, $8.00 …[contract end date] 2/21/2014, Novartis ,
Afluria,…10 dose vial, $8.25 …[contract end date] 2/21/2014, Merck.”
See http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/awardees/vaccine-management/price-list/index.html .
Each Thimerosal preserved flu vaccine dose that the CDC buys and distributes for children has about the same mercury by weight as one half cup of D009 mercury hazardous waste. And a 2001 technical report “Mercury in the Environment: Implications for Pediatricians” concluded that “Mercury in all of its forms is toxic to the fetus and children, and efforts should be made to reduce exposure to the extent possible to pregnant women and children as well as the general population.”
Please contact your elected US Senators and Representative. Ask them to stop the use of our tax dollars by the CDC to buy and distribute Thimerosal (heavy metal mercury) preserved flu vaccines for children.
Jim Thompson is a registered professional engineer. His first granddaughter Taylor Haug was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, epilepsy, verbal apraxia, motor disorder, and sensory integration disorder.