By John Stone
‘Panic Virus’ author Seth Mnookin closed his blog the other week entitled ‘More embarrassing reporting from CBS News’s Sharyl Attkisson’ (HERE) without responding to fundamental criticisms. What is at stake is his very credibility as an historian of the vaccine/autism controversy, as someone who failed to recognise the most basic facts.
Mnookin had censured study author Helen Ratajczak (HERE ) and in turn the report of Sharyl Attkisson of CBS ( HERE) for citing the ChildHealthSafety website (HERE ) but the information from CHS came well documented, and Mnookin ought to have known this as author a popular book on the subject. Mnookin appears to be living in a parallel universe in which the head of Merck’s vaccine division, Julie Gerberding, had not conceded that vaccines cause autism to CNN TV when we she was director of the Centers for Disease Control, and in which the US government had not made important concessions in Vaccine Injury Compensation Programme, and in which significant awards had not been made.
CHS summarised the points on Mnookin’s blog:-
- The US HRSA has confirmed vaccines can cause autistic conditions.
- Merck’s current Director of Vaccines Division confirmed vaccines can cause autistic conditions – and that was when she was the Head of the US Centers for Disease Control.
- Autistic conditions can be caused by multiple vaccines as was conceded by the US Department of Health and Human Services in the Hannah Poling case.
- Autistic conditions can result from acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM) following MMR vaccination as held by the US Federal Court in the case of Bailey Banks.
- The increase in autistic conditions, diabetes, childhood asthma and obesity can only be caused by enviromental factors as was confirmed by the current Director of the US National Institutes of Health and leading geneticist Dr Francis Collins in evidence to Congress when he was head of the Human Genome Project.
- the rate in the USA is approximately 1 in 100 and in the UK it is 1 in 64
- the cost to the UK has been estimated to be £28 billion per annum.
Meanwhile, Mnookin walks away without answering and it looks like the embarrassment is all his.